Sunday 20 March 2011

Featured seller - HanconWhite Handmade Homewares


I've just moved house, and so can't stop looking at all the lovely things out there for my new home.... so it seems perfect to be featuring HanconWhite on the blog today.  Go and take a peek at the folksy shop I'm loving the spring feel!

Tell us a bit about yourself

My name is Claire, I was born a Hancon and married a White so it seemed an obvious choice for the brand.
I live with my husband and 2 young daughters in the lovely market town of Olney in Buckinghamshire.

What do you make?

Currently I make aprons and peg-bags, with a range of cushion covers and appliquéd tote bags coming soon.


When/how did you start?

My mum has always sewn and her mum is a knitter so I suppose it was always in my blood. I did a textiles GCSE (many years ago!) but I didn’t think at the time that it was something I could make a living from. I was given a sewing machine for my birthday last year and I got the bug again. Since having the girls, I’m spending a lot more time at home and by chatting to other Mums, I realised that the products we wanted weren’t available in the fabrics / colourways we wanted - so, with help from my mum, I dusted off my skills and set to making!

When did you start selling – where do you sell?

I set up my shop on Folksy.com in November 2010. I also plan to hold mini-shopping events at my home in the future.
Do you also have a day job?

I have my youngest daughter at home with me 3 days a week so I guess that could be called my day job! I get time to sew when she is at nursery.

Where do you get your inspiration from?

I tend to work backwards – I will find a fabric that I cannot resist and then find something to make with it. I’ve quite a collection building up and am brimming with ideas for it all…I just need to remember to write them all down…

What is your favourite music to craft to?

To be honest, as long as there’s music on in the background I’m happy but I have Scott Matthews on the iPod at the moment.

What is your favourite piece of your own?

My favourite piece is my flowers apron – it was one of the first fabrics I found for HanconWhite and I love it! The colours, birds and butterflies are so pretty.


Where do you do your crafting?

I’d love to say that I have a light and airy converted loft space for my studio (a girl can dream!) – in reality, however, it’s my sewing machine on the dining table when the kids aren’t around!

If you'd like to check out hanconwhite some more, here are some links



Follow me on Twitter @hanconwhite

Thanks so much Claire for taking part!


No comments:

Post a Comment