Sunday 24 April 2011

featured seller - kitsch kitten

Today's seller is Kitsch Kitten, who makes fantastic kitsch jewellery - v cute!!
Tell us a bit about yourself

 
Hi I’m Rachael a Scottish jewellery maker/craft lover with a love of all things kitsch and retro. I’m really into the 1940s and 1950s in particularly. 
My home is filled (some would say cluttered...) with pretty and colourful pieces. I’m a real magpie for unique things and keepsakes. I share it with my cat Jumper who is a dark tortoiseshell and so named because she jumped up against me when I went to the animal rescue centre to get a cat. The cat is my logo is the family cat I grew up with called Scampie and she lives with my folks. 

What do you make? 
In a nutshell, I make kitsch jewellery such as sweetheart swallows, nautical necklaces and perfect pin ups. I always used to buy these things when I found them, but that was few and far between, so I decided to start making my own. I’m really inspired by fairytales, 1950s kitsch and I love whimsical things that make me smile. You wouldn’t believe the amount of time and energy I spend scouring the internet and unique shops to find the charms I use in my items! 
I’m not nearly as talented as so many of the crafters on Folksy but I love what I make. I wear my jewellery all the time. 
I also make shabby chic cake stands from unwanted and unloved spare pieces. I really like how you can recycle otherwise pretty useless bits and make something new. I had an afternoon tea party at my home using all the cake stands and it just looked so pretty and was marvellous fun! 

Why do you use that medium? 
I think my type of jewellery is very accessible, you don’t need a lot of tools, just a lot of ideas! I’d love to do more complex things but I don’t have the space. I’d encourage everyone to get involved in whatever craft they fancy and not to get scared off by it. 

When/ how did you start crafting? 
Since as long as I can remember I’ve been using my hands to make stuff. As a kid, all my Christmas and birthday presents were craft related and I would sit with paper, scissors and sellotape and make things. My home is generally covered in little bits of felt – I’m currently making a gypsy caravan sewing box, as you do! 

I got into making jewellery as I said because I couldn’t find what I wanted easily. Now that I’ve joined Folksy, there’s tonnes of choice but hopefully I can offer something unique. 

When did you start selling your stuff - where do you sell? 
I started my website when I was out of work in 2010. Then when I found a job again, it was in the middle of nowhere with no regular access to a post office! That meant I couldn’t give customers the service I wanted so I didn’t take any sales. Now I have finished that contract and looking for my next one, which hopefully will be nearer a post office so I’m really kick starting Kitsch Kitten. I have my own website www.kitschkitten.com and also sell on Folksy which has such a great community feel. I really want to start selling at craft fairs soon too. 

 

Do you also have a day job, or is this your main job? 
Oh yes unfortunately! I doubt I could ever make Kitsch Kitten full time. I work in HR which I love but I love how Kitsch Kitten gives me an opportunity to get properly creative. 

What do you love about your medium, what do you hate? 
I love what you can do and how these can reflect your ideas, but I hate how hard it can be to get the charms I want! I have much more success with the images I use and I’m doing more of these as it’s a really interesting opportunity. 

Where do you get your inspiration from? 
Everywhere!! I love fairytales, romance, vintage styles and obviously kitsch things! I love fashion and clothes and watch what’s in style but I don’t limit myself to that. I have definitely found my niche and just hope that others like what I do. 

What is your favourite music to craft to? 

I am a huge Bob Dylan fan and a bit of an indie girl at heart, love Mumford & Sons at the minute but I’m also quite eclectic so I love pop and girly songs too. 

What is your favourite piece of your own? 
The 1930s travel pendants are my current favourite, I have a Havana one which I’m currently wearing (as I type this!) I just love what the resin can allow you to do and the colours just pop! 




 

Where do you do your crafting (specially built studio - sofa??) 
I wish! I live in a small flat so I work in the living room, watched by Jumper who sits in her radiator bed (well away from my work!) I’d love to have a proper studio.

3 comments:

  1. Aw thanks for featuring me. I love the features on your blog, I've found it so interesting learning about other sellers. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're very welcome - and if anyone else would like to be featured drop me a comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy! Would you mind if I share your blog with my zynga group?
    There's a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Thanks
    Check out my website ; Shaking her butt

    ReplyDelete