Monday 7 February 2011

Featured Seller - The Mosaic Tree

This weeks featured seller is Annie from the Mosaic Tree


Tell us a bit about yourself - (where do you live, what's your name etc..) 
I’m Annie and I hail from Somerset and moved to this beautiful part of the world in 2008. Family life is full on as my partner and I have two children. We enjoy a work life balance by both working part time and then indulging our coffee habit whenever we get the chance! We’re living our dream now (albeit on a shoe string!) as we thought that we’d rather do it this way than wait until we retire. 

What do you make? 
One day, I plan to make a wide range of items using lots of different craft techniques…..at the moment I knit! I make baby hats, beaded knitted necklaces, spiral brooches and covers to keep your mobile, blackberry or iPod looking both cool, snuggly and scratch free. 

Why do you use that medium? 
Its partly for purely practical reasons – knitting fits in well with the general hubbub that is family life. I wanted to work with cotton rich wool as it is easy to work with and tends not to go ‘bobbly’ over time. It also come in a fantastic range of colours. 



When/ how did you start crafting? 

Christmas 2009. – My daughter had been given a children’s kniting book, a pair of half pint knitting needles and a ball of wool. I had a few days off and decided that now was the time I was going to teach myself to knit. Its grown from there. 

When did you start selling your stuff - where do you sell? 
I started selling on Folksy during 2010 – and I sell a few bits to family and friends. It’s mainly a hobby for me. 




What do you love about your medium, what do you hate? 
Can I have 2 ‘loves’?! I love being creative and using colours as my inspiration…..and the feeling when someone loves what you’ve made. And I hate dropping stitches – it makes me mad! 

Where do you get your inspiration from? 
What to make is more straight forward – the necklaces started as I wanted to make a birthday gift for my sister, the first blackberry cover was a request. Inspiration for colour is more complex – a sunset sky, for example. Or it can be mundane – one colour theme that I use was the colour scheme in a holiday cottage that we stayed at! 

What is your favourite music to craft to? 
Its not my favourite piece of music…but the Eastenders theme tune does tend to crop up rather frequently! 




What is your favourite piece that you’ve made? 
This varies as it tends to be whichever baby hat the teddy (borrowed from my daughter!) is modelling. He always gets extra points for looking cute! 

Where do you do your crafting?
The sofa, the car on long journeys, waiting rooms – it is truly portable!


-------------------------------------------

I wish my craft was so portable, hubbie isn't keen on me soldering in the car for some reason.....
Thanks again Annie for taking part - it does sound like you're living the dream - good look with it all.

Beckyx

3 comments:

  1. Lovely comments,annie,i know what you mean about your craft being portable.You sound like a very contented person,all the best in the future,
    jean xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky - Thanks for posting the interview on Monday. I've just started a blog so will link to this by way of introduction (www.mosaictree.blogspot.com). And yes, soldering in the car could be slightly riskier than knitting!!!

    Jean - Thanks for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great interview, and I love the colours you've used for the items shown :)

    ReplyDelete